Saturday, September 10, 2011

La Fruta de La Vida...

As I have figured out these past three weeks, for Cochabambinos, La Fruta de La Vida are papas. Potatoes. So many potatoes. But that made me wonder... In other cultures, in my own culture, what is the fruit of life? What is essential for a culture to function, to be happy, to be fed? There are stereotypes, of course. Bolivia, papas. Central America, tortillas. Even the United States, maiz. We are sustained by starches and carbohydrates. My body has been very aware of that in the past three weeks, and has reacted accordingly. (I've gained weight) But it can be metaphoric as well. A starch is something sturdy and is something that can hold a culture together. Think about how many good memories are made at the dinner table, sharing food and drink. That was just a thought I had as I changed from sporadic meals in the States to a set time every day, sharing food with all of my family at once in Cochabamba.

In Cochabamba, the five of us Bolivian Girls attended a language school called Runawasi. We spent the three weeks exploring the city, meeting new friends and learning spanish. We went on a few excursions. We saw the biggest statue of Jesus in the world, we hiked through the beginning of the Amazon, where the highlands meet the lowlands (called the Yunga) and we took a few trips to La Cancha, the main market of the city.

This is at a big parade in a small pueblo up in the mountains of Cochabamba. There are tons of pictures, but this is one of my favorites.
This is the rainforest where we hiked. So beautiful.
Here's me feeling very small in comparison to the beauty that God has shown me.
More rainforest and mountains. It really is a breathtaking view.
This is La Cancha, the main market in Cochabamba.
The Cristo de la Concordia, the biggest statue of Jesus in the world!
These are the Yalters (SALT + YAMEN) on top of the city of Cochabamba.
And here is the city where I spent the last three weeks!

I could write so much more, and maybe I will in a different blog post, but for now, I'm just thanking God for everything I have been able to experience, for the support and the guidance that He has shown for me, and also for giving me strength when I had those "I hate Spanish" days, which I'm sure I'm going to experience more of.

Tomorrow morning, I get to go to a Mennonite church! It will be the first time we've gone to church in about a month and I'm really excited! I also get to meet my host family tomorrow. It is a much anticipated meeting, but in the words of Alyson, "the ability to unpack for good and to have all my things in one place kind of outweighs the anticipation and nervousness."

That's all I have for now. 

Isaiah 41:10 "Don't be afraid. I am with you. Don't tremble with fear. I am your God. I will make you strong, as I protect you with my arm and give you victories."
Isaias 41:10 "No tengas miedo, pues yo estoy contigo; no temas, pues yo soy tu Dios. Yo te doy fuerzas, yo te ayudo, yo te sostengo con mi mano victoriosa."

No comments:

Post a Comment