Friday, August 19, 2011

Hola Bolivia!

Well, the Bolivia girls have made it! The travel period was long and tiring, but finalmente, nosotros estamos aqui! Right now we're sitting in our library at Comite Central Menonita (MCC en America). We arrived around 8am this morning, and Lizzete picked us up and drove us to CCM. The city is beautiful! I don't really know a whole lot about it, but I'm excited to learn more! The city is formulated in rings, and CCM is pretty close to the center.

Tomorrow night we drive to Cochabomba! We're taking an overnight bus, which won't be fun at all because we have to climb up into the mountains! But it will be worth it. I'm excited to start learning more spanish. Even being here for only one day, I'm already getting back into it and learning more. My brain is accepting it, which is awesome.

Also, randomly, we experiencing super cold weather. It's around low 60's, I guess because a southern wind! So it's muy fresco. But next week it will start to get really hot again and we'll head into summer. I learned a lot about being healthy and safe today. And I forgot that the water here, although it's safe, is different. So we will have a lot of carbonated water! Also, today for breakfast we had a dish called salteƱas.They are chicken and juice filled pot pies, kinda, but they're sealed in a bread and you have to drink them. They are a lot like empaƱadas.

Yesterday, while sitting for an hour or so in La Paz, a christian pastor from Dallas who's son lives in Santa Cruz was talking with me, and he said something that stuck with me. We were talking about our futures and he asked, "When you're driving down a dark road, with your headlights on, how far can you see?" I replied, "about twenty feet?", and he said, "Yes, but what you do you do when you can't see? You keep going and then you can."

His life is centered around following God. He and his family were missionaries in Argentina for ten years, and now his son, who is twenty, lives in Santa Cruz and plays division 2 soccer. His message to me, as I understand it, was that God is the headlights, and I'm the driver. Although I don't know where I'm going, I'm trusting Him to enlighten me when the time is necessary. It's a really good thought to have because I'm going into this year of service with very low expectations. We're supposed to. It's hard not to expect things, and want to know all about my placement and everything i'll be doing this next year, but I just have to trust God and wait it out.

"La exposicion de tus palabras nos da luz, y da entendimiento al sencillo." 
"The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple."
-Salmos 119:130 Psalms 119:\:130

No comments:

Post a Comment